Lib Dems demand Tories launch independent inquiry into electoral fraud allegations
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats have called for the Conservatives to immediately launch an independent internal inquiry concerning allegations Conservative Party officials offered Brexit Party candidates jobs and peerages to stand aside.
In a letter to Conservative Party Chairman James Cleverly, the Liberal Democrat President Sal Brinton said: "The severity of these claims has implications not just for the integrity of the general election, but also for the public's trust in our democracy."
The letter, responding to the news that the police are assessing an electoral fraud and malpractice claim into No 10 offering Brexit Party members peerages, goes on to say an independent internal inquiry "would be an opportunity to show the party has nothing to hide."
The Liberal Democrat President, Sal Brinton, has also urged the Conservatives to "cooperate fully with the police so they can clarify these allegations."
Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson also hit out at the allegations.
You may also want to watch:
She told PA: "Nothing would surprise me about the Conservatives these days given what they've been prepared to do.
"If Boris Johnson's prepared to lie to the Queen, lie to the country, you know, I'm going to stop being shocked at where his lack of boundaries lies."
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 3 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 4 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 5 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 8 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 9 Poll finds Brexit-backing Wales would vote to rejoin EU
- 10 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.