Lib Dem says Melania Trump backs party... because she wore yellow
- Credit: Archant
Liberal Democrat candidate Sam Gyimah has said the first lady of the United States backs his party... because she was seen wearing yellow on her first day in the UK.
While the country debates whether Donald Trump was right to weigh in on the election on his visit to the UK - telling the press that Boris Johnson is 'very capable' - former Conservative minister Sam Gyimah has suggested that Melania Trump is giving a coded message to British voters by having worn a yellow dress on the first day of the US leaders' visit to the UK.
While it's clear Gyimah was joking when he said Melania Trump was sending a message to vote for Jo Swinon's party by wearing yellow to a Downing Street reception many on Twitter were quick to call out the 'endorsement'.
"Dude, not an endorsement you'd want," one person said, before another replied: "Its Sam Gyimah. Its definitely the endorsement he wants."
Another person said: "Lib Dems really have imported the Tory social media team. Wtf is this."
You may also want to watch:
"Why would you want the support of the wife of a fascist?" queried another Twitter user.
Some others pointed out that the dress Melania Trump was wearing had purple accents, which would have actually made the outfit more of an endorsement for UKIP.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 3 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 4 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 5 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 8 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 9 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 10 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.