Lib Dem says Melania Trump backs party... because she wore yellow
- Credit: Archant
Liberal Democrat candidate Sam Gyimah has said the first lady of the United States backs his party... because she was seen wearing yellow on her first day in the UK.
While the country debates whether Donald Trump was right to weigh in on the election on his visit to the UK - telling the press that Boris Johnson is 'very capable' - former Conservative minister Sam Gyimah has suggested that Melania Trump is giving a coded message to British voters by having worn a yellow dress on the first day of the US leaders' visit to the UK.
While it's clear Gyimah was joking when he said Melania Trump was sending a message to vote for Jo Swinon's party by wearing yellow to a Downing Street reception many on Twitter were quick to call out the 'endorsement'.
"Dude, not an endorsement you'd want," one person said, before another replied: "Its Sam Gyimah. Its definitely the endorsement he wants."
Another person said: "Lib Dems really have imported the Tory social media team. Wtf is this."
You may also want to watch:
"Why would you want the support of the wife of a fascist?" queried another Twitter user.
Some others pointed out that the dress Melania Trump was wearing had purple accents, which would have actually made the outfit more of an endorsement for UKIP.
- 1 The EU has moved on from Brexit... and Europeans have moved on from Britain
- 2 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 3 Food industry predicts empty shelves and price rises in latest Brexit dividend
- 4 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 5 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 6 Ed Davey rejects Labour alliance in wake of by-election victory
- 7 Britain’s message of hope to Europe on the referendum’s 5th anniversary
- 8 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 9 How Boris Johnson went from Francophile to Francophobe
- 10 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.