BREAKING: Liberal Democrats receive endorsement from the Economist
- Credit: Getty Images
The Economist has decided to back the Liberal Democrats in the general election.
The publication said that while Labour is attempting to solve 21st-century problems with 20th-century hard left solutions, the Tories have become a party of extremes, particularly on Brexit.
The Economist's statement recognised the unlikelihood of the party winning the election, but made the endorsement as a bid to support the centre ground in politics.
They also endorsed the party in 2017.
"There is no good outcome to this nightmare of an election," said a statement from the magazine. "But for the centre to hold is the best hope for Britain."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 2 30 great European books for the beach
- 3 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 4 Twilight of the golden boy
- 5 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 6 The cannabis conundrum
- 7 Maneskin and the Italian rock revival
- 8 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 9 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.