BREAKING: Liberal Democrats receive endorsement from the Economist
- Credit: Getty Images
The Economist has decided to back the Liberal Democrats in the general election.
The publication said that while Labour is attempting to solve 21st-century problems with 20th-century hard left solutions, the Tories have become a party of extremes, particularly on Brexit.
The Economist's statement recognised the unlikelihood of the party winning the election, but made the endorsement as a bid to support the centre ground in politics.
They also endorsed the party in 2017.
"There is no good outcome to this nightmare of an election," said a statement from the magazine. "But for the centre to hold is the best hope for Britain."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 2 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 3 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 6 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 7 Tory anger as Labour to hold vote on establishing committee to investigate cronyism
- 8 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 9 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 10 Tory government 'doesn't think it has to be abide by rules', says former civil servant
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.