Lib Dems hint at Remain alliance in certain seats
- Credit: PA
Jo Swinson has suggested the Liberal Democrats could reach 'arrangements' with other pro-Remain parties to ensure one candidate has a clear run.
The Lib Dem leader said negotiations were taking place in relation to a "small number" of constituencies in the forthcoming general election.
Speaking outside the Houses of Parliament she highlighted their success in the recent Brecon and Radnorshire by-election, which was won by the Lib Dems' Jane Dodds after the Greens and Plaid Cymru did not field candidates.
"We are obviously - as has been discussed - in negotiations ... so there may well be a small number of seats where there are arrangements that are agreed, such as what happened in Brecon and Radnorshire," she said.
"So we will of course work with other parties that also want to stop Brexit. We have been doing that successfully in the House of Commons."
You may also want to watch:
Swinson said that in most constituencies the Lib Dems were the strongest pro-Remain party.
"The Liberal Democrats are fighting our most ambitious general election yet," she said.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 10 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
"We have more members than ever before. We have raised more money for this election than ever before.
"If people want to stop Brexit, if they want to Remain, they need to vote Liberal Democrat."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.