Lib Dems hint at Remain alliance in certain seats
- Credit: PA
Jo Swinson has suggested the Liberal Democrats could reach 'arrangements' with other pro-Remain parties to ensure one candidate has a clear run.
The Lib Dem leader said negotiations were taking place in relation to a "small number" of constituencies in the forthcoming general election.
Speaking outside the Houses of Parliament she highlighted their success in the recent Brecon and Radnorshire by-election, which was won by the Lib Dems' Jane Dodds after the Greens and Plaid Cymru did not field candidates.
"We are obviously - as has been discussed - in negotiations ... so there may well be a small number of seats where there are arrangements that are agreed, such as what happened in Brecon and Radnorshire," she said.
"So we will of course work with other parties that also want to stop Brexit. We have been doing that successfully in the House of Commons."
You may also want to watch:
Swinson said that in most constituencies the Lib Dems were the strongest pro-Remain party.
"The Liberal Democrats are fighting our most ambitious general election yet," she said.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 5 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 6 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 7 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 8 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 9 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 10 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
"We have more members than ever before. We have raised more money for this election than ever before.
"If people want to stop Brexit, if they want to Remain, they need to vote Liberal Democrat."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.