Lib Dems to push for vote on second Brexit referendum in House of Commons
- Credit: PA
The Liberal Democrats will push for MPs to vote on a second Brexit referendum to find out if it has the support of a majority in the House of Commons.
While a decision on a confirmatory vote had been expected as part of the Kyle amendment, if Boris Johnson brought back a deal, the Lib Dems are looking to seize the initiative by tabling a motion on a People's Vote as part of the Queen's Speech debate.
If selected it would be an opportunity to find out if a second Brexit referendum commands the support of MPs in the House of Commons - and whether Jeremy Corbyn is ready to instruct his party to vote for it.
It would also be a test of the loyalties of Tory rebels who lost the Conservative whip over the Benn act.
The party said the motion has been tabled as a back up option should Saturday's event not take place, and would allow MPs to vote on a second referendum as early as Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said it showed that the Lib Dems are the "leading voice in the People's Vote campaign".
She said: "Boris Johnson is determined to have a general election, but the best way to resolve the Brexit chaos is to have a People's Vote and give the British people the final say about their future.
- 1 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 2 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 5 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 8 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 9 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 10 Government loses bid to block financial services bill amendment in House of Lords
"The best deal we have is as members of the European Union and we want to give the people the chance to choose to stop Brexit."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.