Jo Swinson says bill for second Brexit referendum is ‘ready to go’
- Credit: PA
The Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson has said that their bill for a second Brexit referendum is 'ready to go' should they form part of government this week.
Swinson said two draft bills have been prepared to be put before parliament after Thursday's general election.
She said a "paving bill" would enable the Electoral Commission to start the necessary consultation around a referendum question and lead campaign designation.
The second bill would provide for a referendum on whether to stay in the EU or quit the bloc.
Swinson said: "Every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Boris and stop Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
"The more Liberal Democrat MPs we have in parliament, the stronger our hand will be in stopping Boris Johnson and his catastrophic Brexit plans.
"We have legislation ready to go to secure a People's Vote with the option to stay in the EU.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 6 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 7 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 8 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
"Liberal Democrats are standing up for Remainers everywhere.
"We have been leading the fight to stop Brexit for over three years and will continue to fight tooth and nail to keep the UK in the EU."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.