Jo Swinson says bill for second Brexit referendum is ‘ready to go’
- Credit: PA
The Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson has said that their bill for a second Brexit referendum is 'ready to go' should they form part of government this week.
Swinson said two draft bills have been prepared to be put before parliament after Thursday's general election.
She said a "paving bill" would enable the Electoral Commission to start the necessary consultation around a referendum question and lead campaign designation.
The second bill would provide for a referendum on whether to stay in the EU or quit the bloc.
Swinson said: "Every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Boris and stop Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
"The more Liberal Democrat MPs we have in parliament, the stronger our hand will be in stopping Boris Johnson and his catastrophic Brexit plans.
"We have legislation ready to go to secure a People's Vote with the option to stay in the EU.
- 1 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 2 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 3 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 4 Why is devout Jacob Rees-Mogg so quiet about Boris Johnson's affairs?
- 5 The symbolism behind the reopening of pubs
- 6 Why are there so few BAME faces on the fronts of our newspapers?
- 7 David Cameron and Matt Hancock discussed NHS scheme over 'private drink'
- 8 Dominic Cummings' new venture could cause concern for No 10
- 9 PM chooses not to attend Prince Philip’s funeral because of guest limits
- 10 Roman Kemp: Depression and coping with George Michael's death
"Liberal Democrats are standing up for Remainers everywhere.
"We have been leading the fight to stop Brexit for over three years and will continue to fight tooth and nail to keep the UK in the EU."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.