Brexit is already costing public services more than £350 million a week, Lib Dems find
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Brexit is taking more £350 million a week from public services - the same figure that Brexiteers claimed would be spent on the NHS instead if a Brexit vote happened.
The Lib Dems have based the figure on the Institute for Fiscal Studies' (IFS) reporting, which appears to show Brexit is costing the government between £380 and £470 million a week.
The IFS estimated that GDP is now £55-66 billion lower this year than it would have been without Brexit, mainly due to uncertainty deterring business investment.
Business investment in the UK has fallen by 3% since the end of 2017, whereas other G7 countries have seen it grow.
Based on those figures, the Liberal Democrats have calculated that public sector receipts (which are 37% of GDP) are £20.3-24.3 billion lower this year than they would have been, which equates to £380-470 million a week.
You may also want to watch:
Shadow chancellor Ed Davey said that ""Boris's lie on the side of a bus was an even bigger whopper than we thought.""Not only does Brexit not mean an extra £350 million a week for the NHS, it actually means £350 million a week less - and that's before we've even left," he explained.
"If Boris Johnson wins a majority on Thursday, his disastrous hard Brexit will suck even more money out of our economy and our public services. Only the Liberal Democrats can win seats from the Tories and deny Boris a majority.
- 1 Joe Biden’s ‘candid’ message to Boris Johnson on Northern Ireland Brexit row
- 2 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
- 3 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 4 Why Australian trade deal could complicate future post-Brexit agreements
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 A furious Hoyle accuses government of misleading the House
- 7 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 8 Priti Patel says fans have right to boo England team for taking the knee
- 9 PM to reveal details of post-Brexit agreement with Australia
- 10 Tory MP ordered to publicly apologise for bullying parliament staff after struggling with IT
"That's why every vote for the Liberal Democrats is a vote to stop Boris, stop Brexit and invest the £50 billion Remain Bonus from higher economic growth to build a brighter future."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.