Who is ringing that bell during news broadcasts?
- Credit: PA
If you have been tuning into the rolling news you may have heard the sound of bells ringing throughout the broadcasts from London's College Green.
Viewers of Sky News and the BBC News channel have voiced their frustration with the bell constantly ringing - with many wishing the protesters would stay quiet during the interviews.
But who is responsible?
According to social media the bell ringing is the sounds of pro-Brexit supporters who have been constantly ringing a 'Liberty Bell' each day outside the Houses of Parliament.
A 'Liberty Bell' is considered an iconic symbol of America's independence from Great Britain, and was first rung in 1776 to celebrate the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence.
You may also want to watch:
65-year-old Sally Smith, a Leave Means Leave supporter, travelled to Westminster from Shropshire with the bell.
One of the ringers - dressed in a 'Trump 2020 t-shirt and a 'Make America Great Again' hat - also bangs a drum as part of the protest.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 6 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
The use of a Trump supporter ringing a bell normally associated with America's independence appears to be another mixed message from the Brexiteers.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.