Lily Allen hits out at racist and misogynistic Britain for handing Boris Johnson a majority
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Singer Lily Allen has blamed racism and misogyny in Britain for handing Boris Johnson a majority.
Allen, a supporter of Labour and Jeremy Corbyn, had been hoping for a majority for the opposition party in Thursday's polls.
But upon seeing the exit poll she took to social media to blame racism in Britain for putting Boris Johnson back into Number 10.
Writing on Instagram she said: "Some say it was Brexit, some day it was Jeremy, personally, and I know no one wants to hear it, I think that racism and misogyny runs so so deep in this country and that Boris won because of his attitude towards those things and not in spite of them."
Allen retweeted a post which read: "Vote for your kids to die with no healthcare and less brown ppl but the joke is capitalism needs cheap foreign workers to exploit so will NEVER reduce immigration so jokes on."
You may also want to watch:
She went on to blame the "unchecked targeted bespoke propaganda" for the result, adding: "We need to start taking this seriously."
When asked if she was OK, Allen replied: "Yes, I am fine, it's not me you should be worrying about".
- 1 The true cost of Brexit is becoming clearer
- 2 Where the fires of Brexit still burn fiercest
- 3 Be careful what you wish for... voting reform could kill Labour
- 4 Boris Johnson's awkward moment with the Queen
- 5 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 6 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 7 MATT FREI: Brexit posed a question... and we haven't even begun to answer it
- 8 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 9 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 10 How the Kominsky Method grapples with growing old
Her comments sparked Piers Morgan to launch a tirade on Twitter.
He wrote: "I think I speak for Britain when I say if @lilyallen doesn't like it here, why doesn't she f*ck off?"
In response one Twitter user said: "Honestly can't get over this. Piers Morgan telling Lily Allen that if she doesn't like racism, then she should fuck off."
"Spoken like a true racist", tweeted another.
"Wish you would", responded others.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.