GMB union announce it is backing Lisa Nandy
- Credit: Getty Images
The GMB union has backed Lisa Nandy in the Labour leadership contest.
Just as the contest looked like it was going to become a two-horse race, Lisa Nandy managed to secure the support of another union
She has already received the support of the NUM - the National Union of Mineworkers - meaning she just needs an endorsement from one other or a socialist society to remain in the race.
General secretary Tim Roache said: "Lisa Nandy is a breath of fresh air in the debate over Labour's future.
"The more members see of Lisa in this contest the more impressed they will be by her ambition, optimism and decisive leadership. GMB is proud to nominate her."
You may also want to watch:
Nandy responded to the endorsement by issuing a statement.
She said: "Labour is at a crossroads. To win again we will have to up our game, recover our ambition, and inspire a movement.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
"The GMB, the biggest industrial union which speaks for more than half a million workers, has been offering that leadership time and time again in recent years.
"As I seek permission to lead us back to power as Labour's next prime minister I could not be more proud to have their support."
GMB also backed Angela Rayner to become the new Labour deputy leader.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.