Cabinet minister accused of gossiping about Tory top brass in busy restaurant
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Cabinet minister Liz Truss has been accused of being loose lipped in a busy London restaurant.
The chief secretary of the Treasury allegedly said the 'only person worse at managing people than David Cameron is Theresa May' and predicted that home secretary Sajid Javid could mount a bid to become the next Conservative leader.
It is believed Truss was chatting to a journalist at the Royal Quarter Cafe, in Buckingham Palace gate, Westminster, on Monday in easy earshot of other diners.
And even after repeated attempts by this newspaper to get a response from Truss she has failed to deny the claims.
The alleged outburst was overheard and published on Twitter by Zack Polanski, a former Green Party parliamentary candidate.
You may also want to watch:
In his transcript he alleges Truss says: 'The only person worse at managing people than David Cameron is Theresa May.
'She's such a pacifist whereas I embrace the chaos. I'm a thrill seeker. I'm enjoying watching France... Macron is such a technocrat and there are consequences – worse than a lame Blair and Brown.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 James O'Brien claims Covid-19 crisis exposed how out of touch Boris Johnson's government is with reality
And offering her candid views on her cabinet colleagues it is claimed she said: 'Jeremy Hunt is so charming. There's no consistency though. One minute he's all about the free market and the next...
'Matt Hancock is actually getting stuck into policy whereas Jeremy was all about the game playing.'
And giving her views on the next Tory leader she added: 'It's going to be Sajid or Jeremy for leader because of the AV system. The only one who could beat them with members is Boris.'
One Tory colleague said: 'Sounds like typical Liz to me. She is very forthright. I doubt it will do her much harm in the long run but she probably feels rather silly today.'
Mr Polanski said: 'I respect that people will be concerned about invasion of privacy – I respect that instinct. Ultimately though this is a public conversation of a very senior figure who says one thing on television and clearly believes differently.
'If this is 'typical Liz' then I would question Theresa May's judgement on who is in her cabinet – never mind Brexit.
'Surely such open gossip in public about cabinet meetings is a resignation issue?'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.