‘Like selling snow to Eskimos’ – Liz Truss’ plan to sell naan bread to India
- Credit: Archant
Liz Truss today unveiled plans to restore the United Kingdom's 'proud status as a great trading nation'… by selling naan breads to India.
The chief secretary to the treasury claimed that it was 'this type of entrepenurial and go-getting spirit' that will enhance the nation's trading opportunities after Brexit.
Truss claimed: 'Selling naan breads in India from a company based in Dunstable would once have been unthinkable.
'It's this type of entrepreneurial, and go-getting, spirit that will help the UK make a success of this once in a lifetime opportunity to reshape Britain.
'We are in a terrific position to take advantage of the new trading horizons open to us after Brexit, and I know that businesses in Bedfordshire and beyond are raring to go.'
You may also want to watch:
The news was unveiled at a visit to a Bedfordshire factory on the same day that Panasonic announced it was pulling its European headquarters from London.
Truss' comments were seized on by anti-Brexit campaigners who said it was 'like selling snow to Eskimos' and a 'trivalisation' of our deep links with India.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Best for Britain champion and Labour MP Virendra Sharma said: 'The idea that selling Bedfordshire naan bread to India is the ultimate embodiment of global Britain is pretty pathetic. While we have a Brexit car crash around us Liz Truss is trying to sell snow to Eskimos. This government is a disaster and this is the only solution - sell a few more naan breads. That seems to be the limit of their ambition.'
'Our link to India is deep, meaningful and special and this is just a sad trivialisation of it. We need to be working to attract people to our universities are dealing with issues like how difficult it is for people from India to get a visa, not flogging a few more naan breads.
Mocking Truss' famous 2014 conference speech Sharma added: 'All in all - my message to Liz Truss is clear - this is a disgrace.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.