Letter: Local elections are a last chance for EU nationals to send a message over Brexit
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
As an EU national who has resided in UK for the past eight years, I will be using the ballot box in May to articulate my discontent with Brexit.
Although local elections concern local matters, as an EU national I only have the local elections at my disposal to signal my disagreement with the Conservative government.
I will therefore be voting Liberal Democrat because they are the only party who care about me, my family and three million other EU citizens in Britain.
Labour and Conservative, also known as the leftist-loonies and toxic-Tories, will undoubtedly face the brunt in May's local elections for abandoning, scapegoating and dehumanising us. Hopefully, this will teach them the following lesson: the three million are a force to be reckoned with.
Muhammed Hussain, Sutton
You may also want to watch:
In the May local elections the best result for the Remain campaign would be a good result for the Liberal Democrats. This presents an opportunity, and challenge, to Remain supporters to vote Liberal Democrat, wherever there is a strong candidate.
- 1 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 2 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 3 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 4 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 5 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
- 6 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 7 No plans for EU membership vote in independent Scotland, says Sturgeon
- 8 Scientist tells Boris Johnson to cancel India trip over new variant fears
- 9 Brussels insists Northern Ireland Brexit protocol must remain in place
- 10 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
These people may never have considered voting for the party previously but if Remainers were to lend the Liberal Democrats their vote on this occasion and persuade their friends, colleagues, and neighbours to do the same this may be an effective wake-up call to other party leaders.
Bill Bradshaw, House of Lords
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.