Millions of Tories will now vote Lib Dem because of Brexit, Lord Heseltine warns
- Credit: Archant
Millions of Conservatives will vote for the Liberal Democrats because 'they will not swallow' the party's attempt to attract supporters of Nigel Farage, Lord Heseltine has warned.
The former Tory deputy prime minister and vocal Remain supporter said it was this "audience" Boris Johnson's government should be concerned about.
Lord Heseltine said it was "unbelievable" a Conservative government was risking the future of the UK "on a dogma which was driven by extreme populism".
He also said the idea that US president Donald Trump would offer Britain a generous trade deal just as he was seeking re-election was "a delusion of the most naive sort".
Lord Heseltine made his withering criticism during a debate in the House of Lords on withdrawal from the EU, as Johnson unveiled a blueprint aimed at breaking the Brexit deadlock.
You may also want to watch:
Referring to the Tory leader's speech earlier to the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, the non-affiliated peer said Johnson was "without any shadow of doubt the best music hall turn in politics".
He added: "But also it revealed very clearly what the strategy is and what is has been since day one of his premiership.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
"It is to combine an agenda of right-wing hardline politics with Brexit to try and get it through a general election campaign by attracting back Nigel Farage's supporters.
"It is as blindingly as obvious as that."
Lord Heseltine said the main problem for the Conservatives was not Jeremy Corbyn, but the Tories themselves given the internal party divisions.
He added: "There are millions of Conservatives who are now voting for the Liberal Democrats because they will not swallow the line that is peddled about Brexit."
Criticising the position taken by Brexiteers, he said: "The idea that president Trump is going to do a soft-option for Britain's trade in a pre-election period in America is a delusion of the most naive sort.
"The idea that the Conservative government is risking the future of the United Kingdom itself on a dogma which was driven by extreme populism is to me unbelievable."
Pressing for a second referendum, Lord Heseltine said: "We need to go back to the people for an endorsement of the decision and much better its rejection."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.