Former Labour MP Luciana Berger joins Liberal Democrats
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Independent MP Luciana Berger has announced that she is joining the Liberal Democrats, giving the party their 16th MP.
The fifth addition to the Lib Dems' MPs roster in the last few months, Berger left the Labour party to become an independent MP in early 2019.
She has held her Liverpool Wavertree seat since 2010, but broke away from Labour in February alongside six other MPs in a protest against Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.
Berger said at the time that she had come to the "sickening" conclusion that Corbyn's party is now "institutionally anti-Semitic".
She then went on to join the newly founded Change UK, but left in June 2019 to sit as an indepdendent.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after joining the Lib Dems, Berger said: "This is a moment of national crisis. The Liberal Democrats are unequivocal in wanting to stop Brexit and are committed to securing Britain's future as a tolerant, open and inclusive society.
"I am joining Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats today, in the national interest, to offer a vital, positive alternative to Johnson and Corbyn and help build a future that our country deserves."
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 8 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 9 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 10 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said:
"Luciana is a passionate advocate for women's and LGBT+ rights, and she's at the forefront of efforts to counter anti-Semitism and prevent discrimination. I'm delighted to welcome her to the Liberal Democrats, where we can work together to stop Brexit and build a fairer, more equal society for all.
"Luciana becomes the fourth MP in three months to cross the floor and join the Liberal Democrats. We're thrilled to add her perspective, expertise and skills to our ever-growing parliamentary team.
"The Liberal Democrats are growing in strength as we lead the fight to Stop Brexit altogether. We are fully behind a People's Vote, and we are the rallying point for Remainers and the liberal centre ground."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.