Former Labour MP Luciana Berger joins Liberal Democrats
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Independent MP Luciana Berger has announced that she is joining the Liberal Democrats, giving the party their 16th MP.
The fifth addition to the Lib Dems' MPs roster in the last few months, Berger left the Labour party to become an independent MP in early 2019.
She has held her Liverpool Wavertree seat since 2010, but broke away from Labour in February alongside six other MPs in a protest against Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.
Berger said at the time that she had come to the "sickening" conclusion that Corbyn's party is now "institutionally anti-Semitic".
She then went on to join the newly founded Change UK, but left in June 2019 to sit as an indepdendent.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after joining the Lib Dems, Berger said: "This is a moment of national crisis. The Liberal Democrats are unequivocal in wanting to stop Brexit and are committed to securing Britain's future as a tolerant, open and inclusive society.
"I am joining Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats today, in the national interest, to offer a vital, positive alternative to Johnson and Corbyn and help build a future that our country deserves."
- 1 Joe Biden’s ‘candid’ message to Boris Johnson on Northern Ireland Brexit row
- 2 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
- 3 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 4 Why Australian trade deal could complicate future post-Brexit agreements
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 A furious Hoyle accuses government of misleading the House
- 7 Priti Patel says fans have right to boo England team for taking the knee
- 8 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 9 Tory MP ordered to publicly apologise for bullying parliament staff after struggling with IT
- 10 PM to reveal details of post-Brexit agreement with Australia
Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said:
"Luciana is a passionate advocate for women's and LGBT+ rights, and she's at the forefront of efforts to counter anti-Semitism and prevent discrimination. I'm delighted to welcome her to the Liberal Democrats, where we can work together to stop Brexit and build a fairer, more equal society for all.
"Luciana becomes the fourth MP in three months to cross the floor and join the Liberal Democrats. We're thrilled to add her perspective, expertise and skills to our ever-growing parliamentary team.
"The Liberal Democrats are growing in strength as we lead the fight to Stop Brexit altogether. We are fully behind a People's Vote, and we are the rallying point for Remainers and the liberal centre ground."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.