Macron: France would look “with kindness” at UK reversing Brexit
- Credit: ABACA/PA Images
Ahead of the French president's UK visit for an Anglo-French summit Emmanuel Macron called for Britain to reconsider Brexit.
Just hours before he arrived in the country Mr Macron's aide said that France would 'look with kindness' if Britain decided to reverse its decision to exit the European Union.
Previously the French president called Brexit 'a crime' but he also believes the door will remain open.
'If tomorrow, or the day after, the United Kingdom decided to change its mind, it's clear that we would look at this with kindness', the aide said. The spokesperson added: 'But it's not up to us if the United Kingdom wants to change its mind.'
The French President isn't the only European leader to encourage a rethink.
This week the European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker said he would be 'happy' to help Britain rejoin the European Union if it wants to after Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
He explained: 'We are not throwing the British out, we would like the British to stay, and if they so wish, they should be allowed to do so.'
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, European Council president Donald Tusk told Britain on Twitter 'our hearts are still open for you'.
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 7 Picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden causes social media stir
- 8 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 9 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 10 The bigot we should have called out on day one