Magid Magid says he was told to leave EU parliament grounds
- Credit: Magid Magid
A Green Party MEP has taken a stand for 'visibly different' politicians after claiming he was told to leave the area in front of the EU Parliament on his first day.
Magid Magid, who was elected in the 2019 EU elections, tweeted a picture of himself from Strasbourg saying: "Your face when you've just had someone ask if you're lost and then you're told to leave, on your first day at work. I know I'm visibily different. I don't have the privilege to hide my identity. I'm BLACK and my name is Magid. I don't intend to try fit in. Get used to it!"
He was in Strasbourg for the opening of parliament on a day of high tensions regarding the UK's membership of the union, with protest stunts from both the Liberal Democrats and the Brexit Party.
MORE: Lib Dem MEPs wear Bollocks to Brexit t-shirts to European parliamentWATCH: Brexit Party MEPs turn their backs on the European anthemMagid Magid, who has long rejected the image of the suit-wearing politician, was wearing shorts, a baseball cap and a t-shirt with the slogan 'F*** Fascism' on the day he says he was approached by EU security.
"To even be put in this position says a lot about what people think the stereotypical politician is meant to look like," he said, clarifying that he hadn't left.
The Somali-born Green MEP shot to fame in 2018 when he was elected Lord Mayor of Sheffield on a pro-immigration, pro-social justice, environmental stance with the Green Party, and went on to become one of seven UK Greens at the European parliament.
You may also want to watch:
According to the BBC, the EU parliament said it immediately investigated the claims and has denied that any of its staff were involved in the incident.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 5 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 6 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 7 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 10 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.