Anti-Brexit rally to take place outside Tory party conference
- Credit: Empics Entertainment
Campaigners calling for a People's Vote on the final Brexit deal will be protesting outside Conservative party conference in Birmingham.
The event, organised by the EU in Brum group, will take place around Victoria Square in Birmingham on Sunday 30 September.
The march comes exactly two years after Theresa May's first big Brexit speech as prime minister when she assured the public that the Tories had a plan and a vision for Brexit that would work for everyone.
Speakers at this year's rally include Our Future Our Choice's Femi Oluwole and The New European contributors Andrew Adonis and AC Grayling.
Commenting ahead of the event Femi Oluwole said: 'This is a people's movement holding the elite to account. We the people – from all walks of life and every region and nation in our country – are taking back control of the Brexit process from the politicians like Jacob Rees-Mogg who have failed us, and we demand a People's Vote.'
You may also want to watch:
Tom Pratt from EU in Brum said: 'We recognise that many people across Birmingham, the West Midlands and the UK are opposed to Brexit and deeply concerned about the progress of negotiations. We're offering our supporters the opportunity to have their voices heard.'
Theresa May previously claimed that a People's Vote would 'destroy trust in politicians' – a view that was widely mocked on social media.
Protesters attending the Birmingham event are asked to meet in Victoria Square at 11am on Sunday 30th September. The march begins at 12pm and the rally will begin shortly after at around 1pm.
To register your interest, and for further information, see this Facebook event.
- 1 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 2 Rabbits defeat French army
- 3 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 4 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 5 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 6 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 7 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 8 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 9 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 10 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.