Swedish minister: I can’t forgive the UK for Brexit
- Credit: Archant
Sweden's foreign minister and a former European Commission vice president has said that she cannot forgive the UK or its political leaders for causing Brexit.
Margot Wallström branded it a 'historical mistake' which has 'created a problem for all of us' - reflecting a change of tone from European leaders towards the UK.
She said: 'I cannot forgive them for this.
'I just think that they've made such a historical mistake and they've really created a problem for all of us.'
'Our political project, the European Union, will suffer from this immensely and that has to be fully understood,' she continued.
You may also want to watch:
And Wallström blamed the political leaders in the UK for sparking the vote in the first place.
'You know what? This is because of bad political leadership since a very long time in the U.K. I saw with all my years from the European Commission ... there was nobody who would defend their EU membership.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
She added: 'You should not promise referenda if you don't prepare them properly.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.