Swedish minister: I can’t forgive the UK for Brexit
- Credit: Archant
Sweden's foreign minister and a former European Commission vice president has said that she cannot forgive the UK or its political leaders for causing Brexit.
Margot Wallström branded it a 'historical mistake' which has 'created a problem for all of us' - reflecting a change of tone from European leaders towards the UK.
She said: 'I cannot forgive them for this.
'I just think that they've made such a historical mistake and they've really created a problem for all of us.'
'Our political project, the European Union, will suffer from this immensely and that has to be fully understood,' she continued.
You may also want to watch:
And Wallström blamed the political leaders in the UK for sparking the vote in the first place.
'You know what? This is because of bad political leadership since a very long time in the U.K. I saw with all my years from the European Commission ... there was nobody who would defend their EU membership.
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg claims fish captured after Brexit deal came into effect were 'British and happier for it'
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 Spokesman indicates Boris Johnson has not read Brexit trade deal text
- 7 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 8 What Remainers should have done differently
- 9 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 10 Why I'll be making Leave EU's move to Ireland as difficult as possible
She added: 'You should not promise referenda if you don't prepare them properly.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.