Mark Francois reportedly willing to go up Big Ben with hammer and ‘bong’ it himself
- Credit: Parliament Live
Mark Francois has been reported to be so determined to ensure that Big Ben rings out as the UK leaves the EU that he will personally 'take a big hammer up there and bong it himself'.
Sky political correspondent Kate McCann suggested in a tweet that Francois would propose the personal gesture, amid calls for jingoistic celebrations both from the famous clock tower and in the nearby Parliament Square.
"Big Ben bong fans," tweeted McCann. "Understand Mark Francois intends to intervene in the debate shortly to make the case for a Brexit bong. If cost is the concern he's willing to take a big hammer up there and bong it himself."
However, when Francois stood up to appeal to the relevant committee in the Commons, he didn't offer to personally ring the bell.
WATCH: Tory Brexiteers propose flag flying and beer brewing to mark Brexit dayThe MP for Rayleigh and Wickford has so far been disappointed in his efforts to ensure that bongs ring out to celebrate the moment we Brexit.
Having tabled an early day motion on the matter, which gathered 55 signatures, was otherwise ignored by the speaker of the house.
MORE: No requests have been made by government to make Big Ben chime on Brexit dayBut former soldier Francois, who once said: "I wasn't trained to lose," was not easily deterred when he spoke in the Commons.
You may also want to watch:
"As we leave at a precise specified time, those who wish to celebrate will need to look to a clock to mark the moment," reasoned Francois, to widespread laughter in the house. "It seems inconceivable to me and many colleagues that that clock should not be the most iconic timepiece in the world, Big Ben."
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 4 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
- 7 Backlash over Tory MP receiving Covid-19 vaccine despite not being classed as vulnerable
- 8 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 9 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 10 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.