Mark Francois teases John Bercow about his height as he wishes him happy retirement
- Credit: Archant
Staunch Brexiteer Tory MP Mark Francois bid farewell to the speaker in his own characteristic way by making a jibe about his height.
Speaker John Bercow intends to stand down on Thursday after more than 10 years of chairing proceedings.
Francois is the deputy chairman of the European Research Group, a Tory pro-Brexit group of MPs, which has often disagreed with Bercow's rulings around Brexit in the Commons.
Tory backbencher Mark Francois made the good-natured remarks during health questions.
Calling Francois to speak, Bercow said: "We stood against each other in Conservative student politics in 1986.
You may also want to watch:
"I was the candidate of the right and he the candidate of the left. But some things change over the years."
In response the Brexiteer said: "Mr Speaker, you won. And I can I say although we have not always agreed on everything, in the 18 years that I have been in this House, can I say most earnestly, from one midget to another, I wish you a long and happy retirement."
- 1 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 2 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 3 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 4 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 5 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 6 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 7 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 8 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 Keir Starmer's day will come
Francois has a history of making self-deprecating jibes about his and the speaker's height.
In May when Bercow chose to stay on as speaker beyond the summer, after he originally said he would stand down, Francois said: "As one vertically challenged MP to another, my sole advice to speaker Bercow is, if you are going to stay on in these momentous times that's fair enough, but it is important that all the players on the pitch retain confidence in the objectivity of the referee until the end of the match."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.