Mark Francois to anti-Brexit protester: ‘We’re signing your death warrant’
- Credit: Steve Bray
The war of words between hard Brexiteer Mark Francois and campaigner Steve Bray went from the bizarre to the threatening after Francois told Bray: 'We're signing your death warrant.'
The exchange took place prior to the BBC Our Next Leader debate, with Bray greeting Francois on the street in his usual jovial style, saying: "Hello Mr Francois. Bollocks to Boris convention?"
It seems like Francois, who backs Johnson, could not resist snapping back at the protester, and turned back from the doorway to say: "In the nicest possible way, we're signing your death warrant.
"By October 31, our boy, you're out of a job."
"It's not a job, it's a passion," said Bray.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm sure you'll find something else productive to do," said the MP for Rayleigh and Wickford.
The protester, his colourful get-up and relentlessly cheerful style, has been a constant presence in the backgrounds of political interviews on College Green, and was heard shouting "stop Boris!" outside Johnson's leadership bid launch.
- 1 Andy Burnham urges UK to 'embrace' Brexit as 'new reality'
- 2 Labour needs more positivity, more patriotism, more policy... and less wokery
- 3 The deep roots of Labour's red wall decline
- 4 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 5 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 6 Boris Johnson has an ‘unsatisfied’ county court judgment
- 7 MANDRAKE: Boris Johnson's 'daughter' speaks out
- 8 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 9 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 10 The truth about 'buy British'
Francois seems particularly irked by him, and prior to the launch told Bray ominously: "This man is going to be your nemesis."
WATCH: Mark Francois issues bizarre warning to Mr Stop Brexit protesterTwitter users have noticed the darker turn in Francois' rhetoric towards Bray, including whistleblower Shahmir Sanni.
"A British MP threatens an innocent citizen for signing their own 'death warrant' just for not wanting Brexit ... Britain is being taken over by extremists," he tweeted.
Twitter user James Melville said in a tweet: "In normal circumstances, if a public figure threatened a member of the public by saying 'we're signing your death warrant', they would be sacked or forced to resign."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.