Mark Francois to anti-Brexit protester: ‘We’re signing your death warrant’
- Credit: Steve Bray
The war of words between hard Brexiteer Mark Francois and campaigner Steve Bray went from the bizarre to the threatening after Francois told Bray: 'We're signing your death warrant.'
The exchange took place prior to the BBC Our Next Leader debate, with Bray greeting Francois on the street in his usual jovial style, saying: "Hello Mr Francois. Bollocks to Boris convention?"
It seems like Francois, who backs Johnson, could not resist snapping back at the protester, and turned back from the doorway to say: "In the nicest possible way, we're signing your death warrant.
"By October 31, our boy, you're out of a job."
"It's not a job, it's a passion," said Bray.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm sure you'll find something else productive to do," said the MP for Rayleigh and Wickford.
The protester, his colourful get-up and relentlessly cheerful style, has been a constant presence in the backgrounds of political interviews on College Green, and was heard shouting "stop Boris!" outside Johnson's leadership bid launch.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 3 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 4 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 5 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 8 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 9 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 10 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
Francois seems particularly irked by him, and prior to the launch told Bray ominously: "This man is going to be your nemesis."
WATCH: Mark Francois issues bizarre warning to Mr Stop Brexit protesterTwitter users have noticed the darker turn in Francois' rhetoric towards Bray, including whistleblower Shahmir Sanni.
"A British MP threatens an innocent citizen for signing their own 'death warrant' just for not wanting Brexit ... Britain is being taken over by extremists," he tweeted.
Twitter user James Melville said in a tweet: "In normal circumstances, if a public figure threatened a member of the public by saying 'we're signing your death warrant', they would be sacked or forced to resign."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.