Mark Francois is spotted with a pint on a Westminster street - and everybody had something to say
- Credit: Archant
Tory Brexiteer MP Mark Francois has swapped clapping on a Thursday night for a pint, after he was spotted with an alcoholic drink on a Westminstrer street.
Despite pubs remaining closed for drinking during lockdown until July 4th, the Tory MP was spotted on Marylebone Street with what appeared to be an IPA.
'My mate just saw Mark Francois having a pint outside a pub.' tweeted Chris Barker. 'Something doesn't feel right about this. (Not photoshopped incidentally).'
It is possible that Francois had made use of the establishments offering takeaway pints - but nonetheless the sheepish reaction to having his picture taken left everyone with something to say, especially after it was shared by a parody account.
'It's like when you catch your underage neighbour having a pint, he half hides it, and hopes you dont grass him to his parents,' wrote Tim O'Jong.
You may also want to watch:
'A pint and a half-pint,' posted Arlene Connoll.
'Shouldn't you still be clapping?' asked Will Boyes.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 7 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 10 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
'That better had be a half, what if Jerry tries to have another pop? Who's even guarding the beaches? This is very serious,' joked one.
'Happy 4th July, that month went quick!' tweeted another.
'So glad that wasn't Diane Abbott drinking in public! Imagine the outrage!' said @TooMuchCoffee1.
'Why does his face look like he's been caught stealing all the purple Quality Street' pondered @BlueLightAlarm.
'Hang on! That looks like a foreign lager not a stout British ale,' added @po_jtu.
Francois has been contacted for comment about the pint.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.