Campaigners turn their backs on Brexit Party in Wales after proposing abolition of Senedd
- Credit: Archant
Brexit Party activists have said they will turn their back on the organisation after its leader in the Senedd called for the Welsh parliament to be abolished.
Former Tory MP Mark Reckless, currently the Brexit Party's leader in the Welsh parliament, has said he will lead a system to scrap the current system in next year's election.
He complained that devolution - backed by the public in the referendum - had 'gone so much further' than people thought in 1997.
Speaking to the BBC's Politics Wales programme, Reckless claimed many in Wales would rather be governed by Westminster than those in Cardiff.
He said: 'A lot of people who haven't engaged with devolved politics now see the powers this place has, and many of those people would prefer to be governed on a UK basis rather than having things done differently in Wales just for the sake of it, as so often has been the case under Mark Drakeford.'
You may also want to watch:
He is instead proposing a new system for Wales, which would include directly-elected first ministers.
But his comments have led to local party activists to turn their back on the Brexit Party.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
A spokesperson for the Brexit Party Swansea group told Wales Online they were now looking for a pro-Senedd political party.
'Mark Reckless appears to be running the Brexit Party in Wales as a dictatorship.
'No meetings with activists, no political party official meetings, no democracy, no election of officers, just him making decisions; (he) might as well set up Brexit Party Wales as a limited company with himself as 100% shareholder and director.
'Former Brexit party activists will be asked in an online poll which pro-Senedd political party we should join/campaign for and switch the Facebook pages to.'
Reckless also said he was 'supportive' of the Brexit Party rebranding ahead of the next set of elections.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.