Gary Lineker silences Tory MP by signing up to house asylum seekers
- Credit: Getty Images
Match of the Day star Gary Lineker had the perfect response to a Tory MP who called him out for not putting up asylum seekers in his own home.
Lineker tweeted in response to the news that Priti Patel and the UK government were looking to send out the Royal Navy to monitor the situation in the England Channel.
He tweeted: 'Can we make it clear that not everyone in this country is heartless and completely without empathy. These poor people deserve the help of their fellow human beings.'
It prompted Ashfield Tory MP Lee Anderson to wade into the debate, saying he would sign him up to take 'the next boat of illegal immigrants'.
He told talkRADIO: 'People like Gary Lineker, those people who like to virtue signal on social media about how we should be a welcoming country and that the people who don't want to see these desperate people coming here should be ashamed of themselves, what do you say to him?'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'If Gary Lineker wants to email me his full name, address, postcode and details of the accommodation that he currently resides in, I will make sure that's available for the next boat of illegal immigrants to come and live in - bed and breakfast of course.
'It's the liberal left again, virtue signalling, trying to say all the right things, trying to tweet out the right messages on social media to look popular.
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 5 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 8 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
- 9 Backlash over Tory MP receiving Covid-19 vaccine despite not being classed as vulnerable
- 10 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
'But I'll tell you what, it's not popular, because the silent majority in this country are right behind the common sense group.'
Anderson tweeted the video with the message: 'A reasonable offer'.
The comments provoked Twitter users to goad Lineker asking if he had yet housed any refugees.
'Not yet', he responded, providing a screenshot of an e-mail from Refugees At Home - a refugee sheltering charity - confirming he had signed up to house some.
The e-mail read: 'Thank you for contacting us with an offer to host a guest. We will contact you shortly.'
'Oh, Gary Lineker, I bloody love you,' tweeted Emma Mort in praise.
'One of the classiest things I've seen on this platform,' wrote Yashaar Mall.
'You know it's 2020 when a 'football pundit' is leading the way in social justice,' posted Jack Mayor.
'The truth is that Lineker or anyone else shouldn't have to personally take in refugees to amplify their cause using a personal platform,' tweeted @BeardedGenius. 'Having basic empathy isn't a hollow gesture, especially now when so much of the media lack it. But of course this is a great extra commitment'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.