Matt Hancock mocked for praising Daily Mail initiative to fundraise for PPE for NHS workers
- Credit: Archant
Matt Hancock was harpooned on social media after tweeting support for a private initiative to supply the NHS with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from China.
The health secretary praised a Daily Mail fundraiser that will supply the NHS with more than £1 million in protective kit from China on Twitter.
The tweet, accompanied by a copy of the Daily Mail front page and the words 'A brilliant initiative from @DailyMailUK in our national effort to tackle #coronavirus', was quickly mocked by Twitter users.
You may also want to watch:
Sharon questioned why PPE was suddenly available: 'Odd how they can get PPE but you claimed there is a global shortage...'
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
Charlier Kennaugh tweeted: 'Am I just being a silly billy when I think that buying essential equipment for our NHS staff and key workers ought to be your job as Her Majesty's Government's Health Secretary?'
Ian Harris agreed, posting: 'I have another brilliant initiative idea though. Our government, who funds the NHS through the tax that we pay, to the tune of £130bn a year, perhaps should be doing this? If the Daily Mail can do this, you - the government - should be doing this?'
Hackney councillor for energy, Jon Burke, questioned the paper's good will: 'Let's set aside for a moment that this is the secretary of state for health openly admitting he has manifestly failed to do his job, and focus on the fact that the Daily Mail is owned by tax-exile worth £800 million.'
Frankie Boyle joked about a national newspaper PPE supply chain: 'Now all we need is for the Daily Star to source some ventilators, and the Metro to start working on a vaccine.'
The government has come under sustained fire for its lack of preparedness for the coronavirus epidemic.
A Department of Health spokesperson has previously said: 'This is an unprecedented global pandemic and we have taken the right steps at the right time to combat it, guided at all times by the best scientific advice.
'The government has been working day and night to battle against coronavirus, delivering a strategy designed at all times to protect our NHS and save lives.'
So far, 82 NHS staff and 16 care workers have died from the virus, with more than 21,000 deaths overall. Deaths from care homes and the wider community will now be added to the daily national death toll.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.