Footage re-emerges of Matt Hancock ‘sighing’ when asked for his thoughts about Boris Johnson
- Credit: Archant
Footage has re-emerged of Matt Hancock 'sighing' when he was questioned for his views on Boris Johnson.
The video, which shows The New European's editor-at-large with Hancock, was posted by on Twitter with the comment: 'They say a week is a long time in politics. Look at the difference a year and a half can make.
'@campbellclaret remember when cabinet ministers used to tell us, what they really thought about Boris's style of leadership? #DominicCummngs.'
You may also want to watch:
In the clip, the health minister raises his eyebrows and sighs when asked what he thought of Boris Johnson as foreign secretary.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 7 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 8 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
- 9 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 10 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
'Well, you know, each person brings a different thing to the table, don't they? And, around that table there are some absolutely brilliant people who are pulling together to make it work,' he replied.
Sensing the minister's apprehension, Campbell swooped in saying: 'And he [Boris Johnson] is definitely not one of them.'
Hancock raises his eyebrows and appears to sigh again.
Commenting on the GQ interview made in October 2018, Campbell wrote: 'Oh Lord I had totally forgotten about this. Watch folks @Matthancock on @BorisJohnson as foreign secretary'.
At the time, Hancock was still the health minister while Boris Johnson was the foreign secretary in Theresa May's government. Johnson's tenure as secretary was marred by controversy and gaffes, such as wrongly alleging a Briton imprisoned in Iran had been training journalists in the country.
The clip, which was posted by budding journalist Callum Tennant, caused quite a stir on social media.
Stephen Sarbutts wrote: 'The look from Hancock says it all, he knows Johnson is an idiot,' Rick Purton called it 'awkward' while Craig Leeds said the recording was more telling of Hancock of a person than Johnson.
'This says more about Matt Hancock than Johnson,' he wrote.
LBC radio presenter James O'Brien also joined in saying: 'Nothing ever changes, does it? 'We're so clever/rich/powerful we don't have to follow the rules. But if you don't there'll be hell to pay.' We might as well have Henry the Eighth back in charge. Although, I grant you, Johnson has a rather better heir-production record.'
James Bottomley wrote: 'What they really think as opposed to the spin. Needs circulation!'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.