Matt Hancock mocked for cringeworthy Yorkshire campaign trail video
- Credit: Matt Hancock
The Conservatives have once again struck exactly the wrong note after Matt Hancock tweeted an on-the-trail campaign video that has been roundly mocked.
Standing on a country road with a coffee, the health and social care minister addresses the camera saying: "It's Yorkshire. It's before seven in the morning. It's raining. And we're ready to go."
With a big thumbs up to camera he strides off to get into his car, evidently pleased with himself.
The Alan Partridge comparisons came in almost immediately - including from Yorkshire and Humber Labour party - and Twitter users got to work.
Many expressed concern about his use of a disposable coffee cup, remembering the highly zealous Boris Johnson aide who whipped a cup out of his hand during the party conference.
You may also want to watch:
Others noted the mild insult to Yorkshire, being listed among unpleasant things like early starts and rain.
And others just thought he sounded like a "twat".
- 1 Why Bristol is the street art city
- 2 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
- 3 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 4 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 5 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 6 How long can Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi play on?
- 7 Could southern discomfort sink a rebalancing agenda still in its infancy?
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Why Brexit still feels like a personal loss
Twitter user Adam said: "Getting your driver to stop on a country lane so you can do a weird little walk to the camera and get in the car bit for social media is odd Matt."
"First flooding and now a visit from @MattHancock - How much more can poor Yorkshire take?" asked journalist Virginia Mason.
"All they do down at Tory HQ is clone Chris Grayling," said Twitter user @TchimstMaster0.
"Grinning Health Secretary on asset stripping spree," summarised Twitter user @Tingletoot68.
Writer Mike Pattenden summed up his impressions: "This looks suspiciously like a bloke who passed out on the train home, pissed as a fart, missed his stop and had to get his wife out to pick him up."
Twitter user rephrased things for the minister: "'It's raining and I've just been for a poo in the field'."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.