Matt Hancock mocked for cringeworthy Yorkshire campaign trail video
- Credit: Matt Hancock
The Conservatives have once again struck exactly the wrong note after Matt Hancock tweeted an on-the-trail campaign video that has been roundly mocked.
Standing on a country road with a coffee, the health and social care minister addresses the camera saying: "It's Yorkshire. It's before seven in the morning. It's raining. And we're ready to go."
With a big thumbs up to camera he strides off to get into his car, evidently pleased with himself.
The Alan Partridge comparisons came in almost immediately - including from Yorkshire and Humber Labour party - and Twitter users got to work.
Many expressed concern about his use of a disposable coffee cup, remembering the highly zealous Boris Johnson aide who whipped a cup out of his hand during the party conference.
You may also want to watch:
Others noted the mild insult to Yorkshire, being listed among unpleasant things like early starts and rain.
And others just thought he sounded like a "twat".
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 4 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 5 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 6 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 7 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 8 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 9 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 10 Dominic Raab 'not convinced' collapse of fishing businesses would be result of Brexit deal
Twitter user Adam said: "Getting your driver to stop on a country lane so you can do a weird little walk to the camera and get in the car bit for social media is odd Matt."
"First flooding and now a visit from @MattHancock - How much more can poor Yorkshire take?" asked journalist Virginia Mason.
"All they do down at Tory HQ is clone Chris Grayling," said Twitter user @TchimstMaster0.
"Grinning Health Secretary on asset stripping spree," summarised Twitter user @Tingletoot68.
Writer Mike Pattenden summed up his impressions: "This looks suspiciously like a bloke who passed out on the train home, pissed as a fart, missed his stop and had to get his wife out to pick him up."
Twitter user rephrased things for the minister: "'It's raining and I've just been for a poo in the field'."