Matt Hancock mocked for cringeworthy Yorkshire campaign trail video
- Credit: Matt Hancock
The Conservatives have once again struck exactly the wrong note after Matt Hancock tweeted an on-the-trail campaign video that has been roundly mocked.
Standing on a country road with a coffee, the health and social care minister addresses the camera saying: "It's Yorkshire. It's before seven in the morning. It's raining. And we're ready to go."
With a big thumbs up to camera he strides off to get into his car, evidently pleased with himself.
The Alan Partridge comparisons came in almost immediately - including from Yorkshire and Humber Labour party - and Twitter users got to work.
Many expressed concern about his use of a disposable coffee cup, remembering the highly zealous Boris Johnson aide who whipped a cup out of his hand during the party conference.
You may also want to watch:
Others noted the mild insult to Yorkshire, being listed among unpleasant things like early starts and rain.
And others just thought he sounded like a "twat".
- 1 US election result could spark 'end of Brexit', claims peer
- 2 Brexiteer says EU 'spiteful' to end fast-track lanes for Brits after Brexit
- 3 STAR TURNS: Bond star haunted by school tragedy
- 4 'Assorted caviar' and 'board games' - Gifts confiscated from Boris Johnson due to anti-corruption laws
- 5 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 Nigel Farage places £10,000 bet on Donald Trump to win second White House term
- 8 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 9 Question Time: Tory minister told 'diverse' cabinet doesn't erase race issues in party
- 10 Farage says he can dodge US travel ban because he's a 'journalist'
Twitter user Adam said: "Getting your driver to stop on a country lane so you can do a weird little walk to the camera and get in the car bit for social media is odd Matt."
"First flooding and now a visit from @MattHancock - How much more can poor Yorkshire take?" asked journalist Virginia Mason.
"All they do down at Tory HQ is clone Chris Grayling," said Twitter user @TchimstMaster0.
"Grinning Health Secretary on asset stripping spree," summarised Twitter user @Tingletoot68.
Writer Mike Pattenden summed up his impressions: "This looks suspiciously like a bloke who passed out on the train home, pissed as a fart, missed his stop and had to get his wife out to pick him up."
Twitter user rephrased things for the minister: "'It's raining and I've just been for a poo in the field'."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.