WATCH: ‘You’re the losers now!’ – Presenter hits out at Brexiteer over People’s Vote
- Credit: Archant
TV presenter Susanna Reid has hit out at Leavers who call Remainers 'losers', pointing out they are now the ones the most vocal about Brexit unhappiness.
The Good Morning Britain presenter was responding to a claim from a Brexiteer that the only reason Remainers want a People's Vote is because they lost the original EU referendum.
Reid and co-presenter Piers Morgan held a series of debates on the future of Brexit on the breakfast television programme.
They were joined by Richard Tice and John Redwood from the Leave side, and The New European's Matt Kelly and Andrew Adonis.
Morgan continues to be infruriated by the suggestion of a People's Vote.
You may also want to watch:
He asked the panel: 'What is the point of having a democractic vote – 17.5 million voting for one result – and then we pretend it didn't happened at all?'
But Matt Kelly insisted 'that isn't case, it's just being positioned as ignoring democracy.'
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 10 James O'Brien claims Covid-19 crisis exposed how out of touch Boris Johnson's government is with reality
He explained: 'If the reality is that there are more people out there who no longer want to press on with this deal, what bit of this democracy do you want to refuse?'
'It is definitely in doubt, there is no question that there is a lot of doubt about whether Britain is behind this deal or not.'
As both Matt Kelly and Lord Adonis argued for a fresh vote – with Kelly suggesting a series of vote similar to the Scottish devolution referendum – Leaver Richard Tice lashed out.
He asked: 'How many voters do you want before you realise you lost? Get over it!'
But in the perfect retort to the Brexiteer the breakfast show host Susanna Reid said he was now the loser too.
She said: 'Except Richard although they lost you think you've lost with this deal!
'Even you're not backing this deal, so what do you want to do about it?'
Refuting the Brexiteers' suggestions we could just walk away without a deal, Lord Adonis said it would be the most damaging scenario for the country.
He said: 'We are the ones leaving who want the deal.
'The people who suffer if we don't get have a deal is millions of British workers, whose jobs are in jeopardy and whose trade isn't going to take place. It is totally irresponsible.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.