Twitter moves to suspend account which claimed Jo Swinson is about to resign
- Credit: Archant
Twitter has shut down an account which claimed that Jo Swinson was on the verge of resigning before election day to focus more on her own seat.
Thousands of users have been sharing reports from "Max Gapes", a Twitter user who had originally claimed to be a journalist.
He had excited left-wing tweeters by bringing "scoops" with stories they hoped would take votes away from the anti-Brexit party.
He claimed the Tories had been approached by the Lib Dems to discuss a coalition in the event of a hung parliament, and that party leader Jo Swinson was preparing to resign to soften the blow of an election defeat.
Gapes reported that Lib Dem sources had branded it a "worse campaign than Theresa May's in 2017".
You may also want to watch:
The Twitter account claimed that Swinson was to focus on her own constituency seat instead, which she was "worried" of losing due to tactical voting.
Some of Gapes' Twitter threads had been retweeted and liked thousands of times - convincing journalists and politicians.
MORE: Jo Swinson warns of 'fake news' after viral squirrel abuse storyBut it became apparent that it was not an authentic account as the photograph used a profile picture still included the copyright signs from a stock image website.The account had been created in July 2019, becoming more prominent for comments about the Lib Dems during the election campaign.Twitter has now suspended the account after users reported it for impersonation of a journalist.Guidelines state "in order to violate our impersonation policy, the account must portray another entity in a misleading or deceptive manner".
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 4 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 5 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 8 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.