‘You are NEVER there!’: MEP Verhofstadt trolls Farage for not standing in election
- Credit: EU Parliament
The Belgian Brexit coordinator for European Parliament Guy Verhofstadt has thrown a tongue in cheek jab at Nigel Farage for not standing in the upcoming election.
While the Brexit Party will be putting forward 600 candidates across the UK, their leader Nigel Farage has said he will not be putting himself forward for a seat, as he can "serve the cause better" by supporting candidates across the country.
Farage, however, will remain an MEP.
In a post to his Twitter, Verhofstadt said it's "quite ironical that European affairs are more important to Nigel Farage than then politics of Great Britain."
The Belgian MEP implied he did not want Farage in European parliament either, calling his decision to remain an MEP: "A pity, his departure would have been an enormous saving of European taxpayer's money."
You may also want to watch:
In an old video attached to the Tweet, Verhofstadt challenges Farage on this point.
He tells European Parliament: "Mr Farage has talked all morning about salaries and wastes of money. You know colleagues, what I think is the biggest waste of money in the European Union today is the salary of Nigel Farage.
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 4 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 7 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
- 8 Brandon Lewis unable to explain to Piers Morgan reason for UK having 'worst COVID death in the world'
- 9 Brexiteer MP criticised after suggesting No 10 should break Northern Ireland Protocol
- 10 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
"That is the biggest waste of money. Let's be honest about it Mr Farage, you are a member of the fishery committee for example, and you are never there!"
Farage throws his arms up in an upset response, but is unable to get a word in as Verhofstadt challenges him for a further two minutes on his priorities and attendance.
Those online were largely in agreement with Verhofstadt, with one person saying while Farage doesn't attend the fishery committee, he "does talk a load of codswallop though."