‘You are NEVER there!’: MEP Verhofstadt trolls Farage for not standing in election
- Credit: EU Parliament
The Belgian Brexit coordinator for European Parliament Guy Verhofstadt has thrown a tongue in cheek jab at Nigel Farage for not standing in the upcoming election.
While the Brexit Party will be putting forward 600 candidates across the UK, their leader Nigel Farage has said he will not be putting himself forward for a seat, as he can "serve the cause better" by supporting candidates across the country.
Farage, however, will remain an MEP.
In a post to his Twitter, Verhofstadt said it's "quite ironical that European affairs are more important to Nigel Farage than then politics of Great Britain."
The Belgian MEP implied he did not want Farage in European parliament either, calling his decision to remain an MEP: "A pity, his departure would have been an enormous saving of European taxpayer's money."
You may also want to watch:
In an old video attached to the Tweet, Verhofstadt challenges Farage on this point.
He tells European Parliament: "Mr Farage has talked all morning about salaries and wastes of money. You know colleagues, what I think is the biggest waste of money in the European Union today is the salary of Nigel Farage.
- 1 Why have Remainers gone so quiet?
- 2 The cheerleaders who have let Boris Johnson get away with it
- 3 Brexiteers propose return of imperial measurements in report on reducing 'red tape'
- 4 Amazon order shows how we're all paying the price for Brexit
- 5 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 6 PMQs: Ian Blackford drops truth bomb over post-Brexit trade deal with Australia
- 7 Politicians should vote on Australian post-Brexit trade deal, says Nicola Sturgeon
- 8 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 9 Crisis in the unpicked fruit fields shows Brexit is rotten
- 10 George Eustice could be demoted in next cabinet reshuffle
"That is the biggest waste of money. Let's be honest about it Mr Farage, you are a member of the fishery committee for example, and you are never there!"
Farage throws his arms up in an upset response, but is unable to get a word in as Verhofstadt challenges him for a further two minutes on his priorities and attendance.
Those online were largely in agreement with Verhofstadt, with one person saying while Farage doesn't attend the fishery committee, he "does talk a load of codswallop though."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.