Either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt to be PM as Michael Gove dropped from Tory leadership race
- Credit: AFP/Getty Images
The latest Tory leadership candidate to leave the contest is Michael Gove after taking the fewest votes from MPs.
He received 75 votes and leaves Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt as the final two MPs vying to be chosen as the Conservative Party leader and the country's next prime minister.
While Johnson increased his vote share by three to 160, while Hunt picked up 18 new votes from the last round to get 77.
Earlier, Sajid Javid was eliminated from the race after receiving the fewest votes.
There was one rejected ballot paper out of 313 MPs' votes in the latest vote.
You may also want to watch:
Eyebrows were raised after two ballot papers in the last vote were spoilt for the first time in the leadership race, prompting speculation from MPs such as the ever-colourful Mark Francois.
Assuming Jeremy Hunt does not drop out and leave Johnson to enter No.10 unchallenged, hustings with the party's membership for a final vote will begin imminently.
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 The truth about 'buy British'
- 4 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 5 The man the Soviet Union left in space
- 6 Downing Street announces plans to change English voting system following string of Labour victories
- 7 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 8 Labour should never have swallowed the Brexit pill
- 9 Sadiq Khan re-elected as London mayor as Laurence Fox loses £10k deposit
- 10 Noel Clarke: The man who would not take no for an answer
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.