No 10 says Brexit transition period won’t be extended despite negotiator contracting coronavirus
- Credit: PA
Downing Street says the EU's chief Brexit negotiator contracting coronavirus will not force the transition period to be extended.
Michel Barnier said he was 'doing well and in good spirits' in a video message.
He posted on Twitter: 'I would like to inform you that I have tested positive for #COVID19. I am doing well and in good spirits. I am following all the necessary instructions, as is my team.
'For all those affected already, and for all those currently in isolation, we will get through this together.'
A second round of talks on the post-Brexit relationship had been due to take place in London on Wednesday but they were scrapped because of the virus outbreak.
You may also want to watch:
Discussions have been taking place between officials in Westminster and Brussels about how to proceed with future rounds, possibly through the use of video conference technology.
The prime minister's official spokesman said: 'We of course send Michel Barnier our best wishes.
- 1 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 9 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
- 10 Petition launched to officially name Kent lorry park after Nigel Farage
'In relation to Brexit negotiations... we have been in close conversation with the EU about looking at ways to continue progressing the negotiations.
'Both sides have shared their texts of potential legal agreements.'
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab said the government remained committed to securing a post-Brexit free trade deal with Brussels by the end of the year.
'The negotiating texts have been exchanged. I would have thought in the 21st century there is scope for this to be done through teleconferencing and remotely - at least for the period it is required.
'I won't go any further than the PM at this point. We don't want to extend, we want to get this done.
'We don't want any more uncertainty than we have already had from this process.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.