‘Brexit plane’ used by Boris Johnson to be repainted to red, white and blue
- Credit: PA
The plane used to fly Boris Johnson around the world is to be repainted the colours of the union flag, after the prime minister complained about the grey colour, and wanted it to become a 'Brexit plane'.
The grey RAF Voyager jet - also used by the royal family - is receiving a pre-planned makeover at an airport in Cambridge, with red, white and blue expected to be used.
Sky News reported a defence source saying the paint job sounded like something 'from Austin Powers'.
Boris Johnson has previously questioned why the plane is grey, saying as foreign secretary that he wanted to have a 'Brexit plane' to help him travel the world and promote the government's Brexit vision.
He complained in 2018 that the RAF Voyager jet, which is shared by the prime minister, senior cabinet members and the royal family, 'never seems to be available'.
You may also want to watch:
'Boris doesn't like it being grey. He is getting it painted up,' the source told Sky.
An RAF source told the PA news agency that speculation that such a plane would have an 'appropriate paint scheme based on the Union flag would not be incorrect'.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 7 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 8 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 9 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
A spokesman for the Royal Air Force said: 'An RAF Voyager is currently in Cambridgeshire for pre-planned works.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.