Letter: Millions of decent young people deserve better than this
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Earlier this year The New European published a letter by me about an negative experience I had in Essex at Christmas.
I – a woman of colour, domiciled in France – felt racially harassed at Southend airport when returning to Britain to visit my children. I attributed this, and still do, to the toxic climate of Brexit Britain.
I would like to share a far more positive experience I recently had when returning to England to visit my sons. Shortly after arriving I took a trip on foot to the supermarket. On my journey home I was laden down with bags and the sun was beating down. I am 74.
A young white man walking behind me noticed my distress. He offered to help me with my bags. I accepted. As we walked he explained to me that many young people are being blamed for society's ills, but they were an unrepresentative minority. I explained to him that growing up in southern Africa many youngsters – mainly boys labelled as 'troublemakers' – had helped my blind father make the journey to and from work each day. My young helper explained to me that he was 'sick of all the hate' in society.
As we got closer to my destination I felt able to make it on my own. I gave the young man – he told me his name was Will, coincidentally also the name of my eldest son – a hug and we parted.
You may also want to watch:
Will made my day. He reaffirmed my faith in the inherent goodness of Britain. He also reminded me that its young people didn't ask for Brexit. It has been forced upon them. Will and the other millions of other decent young people deserve better.
- 1 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 2 Scathing report accuses Boris Johnson of 'only caring for England'
- 3 Nick Clegg says EU 'let itself and millions of Europeans' down over Covid vaccine programme
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 European Council president faces call to resign over 'Sofagate' incident
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 No 10 rewrote race disparity report, expert claims
- 8 Exports to EU increase in February after record fall
- 9 Sturgeon attacks Westminster decision to refer Holyrood Bills to Supreme Court
- 10 Former chief scientist accuses Boris Johnson of privatising NHS 'by stealth'
• Send your letters for publication to email@example.com
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.