Miriam Margolyes sparks 240 complaints after saying she wanted Boris Johnson ‘to die’
- Credit: Archant
Actress and comedian Miriam Margolyes has sparked more than 240 complaints after saying she wanted Boris Johnson 'to die' from coronavirus.
The actress, 78, told The Last Leg that the government's handling of the pandemic has been a 'disgrace' and a 'public scandal'.
Her comments to the Channel 4 show on Friday have resulted in 241 complaints to broadcasting watchdog Ofcom.
An Ofcom spokeswoman told the PA news agency: 'We are assessing the complaints against our broadcasting rules, but are yet to decide whether or not to investigate.'
Margolyes had told the show she 'had difficulty not wanting Boris Johnson to die'.
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'I wanted him to die and then I thought that reflects badly on me and I don't want to be the sort of person who wants people to die.
'So then I wanted him to get better, which he did do.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 4 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 5 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 6 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 7 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
- 8 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 Johnny Mercer 'sacked' by No 10 after speculation he intended to resign
'But he didn't get better as a human being and I really would prefer that.'
A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: 'The programme is live and unexpected comments can happen.
'In this instance Miriam went on to say that she wanted him to get better.'
Her comments were criticised by some on social media, with Piers Morgan saying the remarks were 'disgusting'.
He wrote: 'This is where toxic tribalism has got us.. actively wanting people of a different political persuasion to die. Shame on you Ms Margoyles.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.