Letter: We’ve given up waiting for a reply from our MP
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
In summer 2016 my wife sent to our MP a detailed response about the conduct of the referendum, outlining all our now too-familiar concerns.
In summer 2016 my wife sent to our MP a detailed response about the conduct of the referendum, outlining all our now too-familiar concerns. She received an acknowledgement that her letter had been received. She treasures that postcard from the Houses of Parliament. It has now celebrated its second birthday.
We still await a reply from MP Carolyn Harris (shadow minister for women and equalities and deputy leader of the Labour Party in Wales). All of my wife's numerous other messages also remain unacknowledged.
Clearly the issues of a flawed referendum and economic ruin are a bit too tricky for a party functionary who, apparently, dislikes paperwork. So a pair of Swansea Remainers are thus ignored and unrepresented.
The issues raised were simple. Was the referendum conducted properly? And if it wasn't, why is it allowed to stand? Was it actually a referendum? Or was it a right-wing coup?
You may also want to watch:
We are unable to tell you what Ms Harris thinks about any of this.
She and her party have lost my vote, and I suspect that of my wife too. I was born in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire, but I can no longer support a Labour party which is so incompetent that they refuse to confront this remarkable gang of Tory liars and cheats.
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 4 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 5 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 9 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 10 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
I will find another home for my vote. I regret it bitterly, but I will never vote for the Labour Party again.
• Let us know your thoughts. The New European publishes two pages of letters every week. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.