Letter: Chope is showing his true colours on ‘democracy’
- Credit: SIPA USA/PA Images
A quick puzzle for you and your readers... the following quote belongs to who?
'Any new law needs to be debated, We don't have legislation by decree – that is what they have in Putin's Russia or Erdogan's Turkey.
'What is our defence against legislation by decree? It is our parliament and the right of backbenchers to insist government should explain itself and be held to account.
'I think it is the moral duty of MPs to stand up for freedom and democracy and not to say just because there seems to be a lot of support for something, it does not need to be questioned.'
Dominic Grieve, perhaps? Lord Adonis? Maybe John Major or Lord Heseltine?
You may also want to watch:
Not a bit of it. Step forward the swivel-eyed rabid Brexiteer and anti-gay marriage septuagenarian 'Sir' Christopher Chope.
Incredibly, while he may well think this is good for the goose when receiving the ire of his colleagues for wrecking the up-skirting legislation there is no such contrition for the gander when it comes to the meaningful vote on Brexit. No we're back with Putin on that one.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 5 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 6 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 7 The rocky road to Rejoin
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 10 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
We can add hypocrisy to the growing list of idiocies that is the hallmark of this odious little man.
Richmond on Thames
• Send your letters for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE: How did your MP vote on the 'meaningful vote' amendment?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.