Letter: Chope is showing his true colours on ‘democracy’
- Credit: SIPA USA/PA Images
A quick puzzle for you and your readers... the following quote belongs to who?
'Any new law needs to be debated, We don't have legislation by decree – that is what they have in Putin's Russia or Erdogan's Turkey.
'What is our defence against legislation by decree? It is our parliament and the right of backbenchers to insist government should explain itself and be held to account.
'I think it is the moral duty of MPs to stand up for freedom and democracy and not to say just because there seems to be a lot of support for something, it does not need to be questioned.'
Dominic Grieve, perhaps? Lord Adonis? Maybe John Major or Lord Heseltine?
You may also want to watch:
Not a bit of it. Step forward the swivel-eyed rabid Brexiteer and anti-gay marriage septuagenarian 'Sir' Christopher Chope.
Incredibly, while he may well think this is good for the goose when receiving the ire of his colleagues for wrecking the up-skirting legislation there is no such contrition for the gander when it comes to the meaningful vote on Brexit. No we're back with Putin on that one.
- 1 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 2 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 3 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 4 Rabbits defeat French army
- 5 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 8 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
We can add hypocrisy to the growing list of idiocies that is the hallmark of this odious little man.
Richmond on Thames
• Send your letters for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE: How did your MP vote on the 'meaningful vote' amendment?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.