MPs call for Boris Johnson to recall parliament
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Boris Johnson has been urged by more than 100 MPs from across the House of Commons to immediately recall parliament and let it sit permanently until Britain's scheduled EU departure on October 31.
Tory former ministers Dominic Grieve and Guto Bebb were among the signatories of a letter sent to the prime minister which claims a "creeping and disturbing populism" is taking over his discourse with the EU.
The Westminster leaders of the SNP, Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru, Change UK, and the Green Party's Caroline Lucas also backed the call, along with several Labour MPs.
They wrote: "Since the Second World War, Parliament has been recalled multiple times in every decade for a wide range of political, security and economic reasons...
"Our country is on the brink of an economic crisis, as we career towards a no-deal Brexit which will have an immediate effect on food and medical supplies, damage our economy, jobs, the public finances, public services, universities and long-term economic security.
You may also want to watch:
"A no-deal Brexit also threatens our crucial security co-operation to keep our country safe from criminals and terrorists."
They added: "We face a national emergency, and parliament must be recalled now in August and sit permanently until 31 October, so that the voices of the people can be heard, and that there can be proper scrutiny of your government.
- 1 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 4 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 5 Keir Starmer mocks Tory heckler who said he was speaking in 'hindsight' with prediction
- 6 Brexiteer claims it will be '25 years' before UK gets sovereignty back
- 7 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 8 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 9 Scotland should 'aim to rejoin EU in full' after Brexit, SNP told
- 10 Michael Gove tells Piers Morgan boycotting GMB had been 'good advice'
"A true democrat should not fear such scrutiny. The question is whether you are one."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.