Brexiteer MP in climbdown after tweet supporting campaigner who turned out to be far-right
- Credit: Archant
An arch-Brexiteer MP has deleted a tweet in which she claimed Remain 'fanatics' were hounding a Leave voter - only to find that she had been standing up for a well-known far-right figure.
Nadine Dorries was retweeted hundreds of times when she posted a video of Remain protesters shouting down a counter-protester and used it as an excuse to call for Brexit.
"A disturbing sight," she tweeted. "Remain fanatics targeting a leave voter. We need to Brexit soon and deliver on the vote. This has gone for far too long."
However, Twitter users quickly responded that the "leave voter" concerned was Daniel Thomas, also known as Danny Tommo, a far-right campaigner who supports Tommy Robinson.
The under-secretary of state for health and social care deleted the tweet around 24 hours after she posted it but has so far made no explanation of why she posted it and if she supports Tommo.
You may also want to watch:
The New European has approached Dorries for comment.
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 The cannabis conundrum
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 8 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 9 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 10 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.