Brexiteer MP says UK should mark Brexit with fireworks display ‘so big it can be seen from France’
- Credit: Archant
A Tory Brexiteer has called for a fireworks display so big that it can be seen from France.
Natalie Elphicke also rubbished proposals from a Lib Dem MEP that plans a "we still love EU" banner to be displayed on the White Cliffs of Dover - instead proposing a rival banner which says "we love the UK".
The newly-elected Dover and Deal MP said: "People here on the White Cliffs voted overwhelmingly to leave Europe and reclaim our place as an independent nation in the world.
"This is a moment where we can look forward with ambition to the Britain we can build in the decades to come.
"A nation where we not only respect the democratic decisions of the British people, but work together to make ours a land of opportunity and prosperity, from which every corner of our country will benefit.
You may also want to watch:
"That's why the message we should be beaming on to the White Cliffs is that 'We love the UK' - because we are proud to become an independent nation again.
"Britain is a land full of brilliant, creative and resourceful people that is open for business across the globe."
Lib Dem Anthony Hook's campaign for a pro-EU banner has raised more than £13,000 - more than twice his target of £5,500 - and he said he and his team have "more exciting plans to make sure our message is heard right across the continent".
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 4 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 5 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 6 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 7 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
- 8 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 9 Brexiteer MP criticised after suggesting No 10 should break Northern Ireland Protocol
- 10 Senior Tories plan rebellion to back genocide clause to the Trade Bill
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.