New poll finds majority support a People’s Vote
- Credit: Xinhua News Agency/PA Images
A new poll has found that 62% support a People's Vote - but a majority of Leavers want politicians to decide Britain's future.
The survey was conducted by FTI Consulting that asked UK voters about a range of possible scenarios and repercussions.
While 62% of the population support a 'final say' referendum, 58% of Leavers would prefer politicians to decide Britain's Brexit future than the people.
An overwhelming majority of 84% said they would vote if a People's Vote was held - with 53% of those intending to vote supporting Remain.
However voters are also skeptical that a People's Vote would be held before Brexit day on March 29, 2019.
You may also want to watch:
Just 25% believed a People's Vote would happen before then. Exactly half of the country believed Theresa May would be replaced as leader of the Conservatives, and 30% thought that a general election would be called.
Voters are split on how significantly Brexit would impact how they would vote in a future election - 31% said it would 'completely' impact how they vote, 38% said it would 'partly' impact their choice, and 32% said not at all.
- 1 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 2 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 3 Boris Johnson's downfall will be the truth
- 4 Boris Johnson consumed by infighting as Brexit job losses worsen
- 5 The German mega-scandal that puts ours in the shade
- 6 Post-Brexit EU worker exodus hits restaurants and pubs
- 7 New royal yacht Prince Philip is a waste of £200m
- 8 A side to Julio Iglesias nobody should have to see
- 9 Brexit talks with Britain were plagued by 'Tory quarrels and low blows', says Michel Barnier
- 10 Could John Lewis remarks spell curtains for Boris Johnson?
Asked about how they would vote if there was an election 31% would back Labour, 28% would back the Conservatives and 9% would support the Lib Dems.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.