Dominic Cummings to become target of new Spitting Image series
- Credit: PA
Spitting Image is making a return to the small screen - with Dominic Cummings and Donald Trump among its new victims.
The series will air this autumn on BritBox, with Boris Johnson, his chief adviser Cummings, US President Trump, Beyoncé, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of York to be ridiculed in puppet form.
Vladimir Putin, Bernie Sanders, Elon Musk, RuPaul, Adele and James Corden will also get the satirical treatment.
The show is the first original commission announced by BritBox UK, the streaming service launched by the BBC and ITV.
Spitting Image co-creator Roger Law is back on board for the show, which ran for 18 series between 1984 and 1996 and was watched by 15 million viewers in its heyday.
You may also want to watch:
At £300,000 an episode, Spitting Image was TV's most expensive light-entertainment show.
The show famously featured Margaret Thatcher in a man's suit treating her cabinet - "the vegetables" - with contempt, John Major as a grey puppet and the Queen Mother slugging from a gin bottle.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 6 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 7 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
Ronald Reagan was featured in bed with two red call buttons, one marked Nurse, the other Nuke.
Law, who will be executive producing the new series, said: "Public service satire announcement.
"I've refused to resuscitate Spitting Image for years but when my pension ran out and my palm was crossed with silver what could an old man do?
"The new Spitting Image will be global through a uniquely British eye, it will be more outrageous, audacious and salacious than the previous incarnation.
"With scandalous scripts and A-list characters, it will be the people's programme!
"When Dominic Cummings gets the boot, Spitting Image will give him a job.
"We've always employed weirdos and are sure Dom will be a great asset, he seems to hate politicians as much as we do. We will take back control from the likes of BoJo, Trump, Harry and Meghan, Elon Musk and Kim Kardashian.
"We will be dazzled and amazed by Jurgen Klopp and Beyonce, we will have regular weather updates from our roving reporter Greta Thunberg. The timing is right, the puppets are ready, the people have spoken. And the message for the doomsayers and gloomsters is, this autumn we will get BritBox done!"
BritBox Originals creative chief and ITV's director of TV Kevin Lygo said: "We are thrilled that BritBox can provide the opportunity for British creativity to truly run wild, and we are looking forward to enticing new subscribers with the new series and service."
Spitting Image will air exclusively on Britbox from autumn, and a second series will follow next year.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.