Next election? It's for the European Parliament in 2019, says council
A council's website still claims the next elections are for the European Parliament in 2019 - after the date Britain is due to leave the EU.
The 'elections' page for Conservative-led Vale of Glamorgan Council in South Wales states that "the next scheduled Election is: European Parliamentary Election in June 2019". The UK is due to leave the EU on March 29 next year, meaning it would cease sending elected members to Brussels and Strasbourg.
The site would be wrong even if Britain was not leaving the EU, as next year's elections are in May, not June.
The error was spotted by Media Wales journalist Martin Shipton, who tweeted: "Why does the Elections page on Vale Of Glamorgan Council's website state: 'The next scheduled election is European Parliamentary Election in June 2019'. Do they know something the rest of us don't?".
Why does the Elections page on Vale Of Glamorgan Council's website state: 'The next scheduled election is European Parliamentary Election in June 2019'. Do they know something the rest of us don't?
-- Martin Shipton (@ShiptonMartin) April 11, 2018
You may also want to watch:
The Vale of Glamorgan voted narrowly to remain in the EU in 2016.
Update: A Vale of Glamorgan Council spokesman said: 'This was an old page and the website has since been updated.'
- 1 Andy Burnham urges UK to 'embrace' Brexit as 'new reality'
- 2 Labour needs more positivity, more patriotism, more policy... and less wokery
- 3 The deep roots of Labour's red wall decline
- 4 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 5 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 6 MANDRAKE: Boris Johnson's 'daughter' speaks out
- 7 Dominic Raab 'chickened out' of a no-deal Brexit, Michel Barnier says
- 8 Boris Johnson has an ‘unsatisfied’ county court judgment
- 9 The truth about 'buy British'
- 10 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.