Nicola Sturgeon orders officials to keep European flag flying at Scottish parliament
- Credit: PA
Scotland's first minister Nicola Sturgeon has ordered officials at the Scottish parliament to keep the European flag flying after the UK leaves the EU on Friday.
There had been anger among Remainers - and some SNP and Green politicians - after it was decided by the parliamentary corporate body to support a decision to remove the blue and gold starred flag from parliament's grounds.
Thousands signed a petition calling for the decision to be reversed, saying it went against Scotland's choice to back remaining in the European Union in June 2016.
Sturgeon has repeatedly claimed Brexit was being conducted 'against our will' - with the Scottish parliament voting to reject the Brexit deal alongside governments in Northern Ireland and Wales.
Now, according to the Daily Mail, she has ordered officials to keep the European flag flying outside the parliament.
Interim Conservative leader criticised the decision saying the SNP was "obsessing about flags" and Scottish independence instead of improving life for Scottish people.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "This is yet another cynical and obvious display of political opportunism from the first minister."
Sturgeon is expected to reveal her next steps for Scottish independence on Friday, the same day the country will leave the bloc.
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 5 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 8 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 9 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 10 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.