Photographs of packed pubs ‘made me want to cry’, says Nicola Sturgeon
- Credit: POOL/AFP via Getty Images
Nicola Sturgeon has said that photographs of packed pubs 'made me want to cry' as she detailed a fresh coronavirus outbreak in Aberdeen.
11 new cases have been recorded in Aberdeen, where NHS Grampian is dealing with an outbreak.
While she said she could not yet say if these cases are linked to the outbreak, she warned the Aberdeen cluster is 'exactly what we feared when we reopened hospitality'.
On Sunday, it emerged 13 cases of coronavirus had been discovered among people who attended The Hawthorn Bar.
The owners said customers who were there on July 26 tested positive but it was confirmed by NHS Grampian they are only showing mild symptoms.
You may also want to watch:
Physical distancing measures were put in place within the pub and contact tracing is being carried out to identify any other potential cases.
At the latest Scottish government briefing, Sturgeon – who earlier warned that scenes of overcrowded bars could lead to the hospitality sector being shut down – said: 'Of course it's not just this incident in Aberdeen, across the county and across social media we are seeing evidence of people – and it is largely younger people – gathering together with little or no physical distancing in place.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 7 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 8 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
'I've seen pictures on social media over this weekend that, not to put too fine a point on it, made me want to cry looking at them.'
SNP MP Stephen Flynn had earlier tweeted two photos of Aberdeen city centre at the weekend, where a cluster of 13 cases of Covid-19 were discovered in The Hawthorn Bar.
The MP said he was 'scunnered' by the images, which showed dozens of people queuing to enter pubs in the city.
Sturgeon said it is likely there will be more Covid-19 clusters in Scotland 'in the weeks ahead'.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.