Question Time: Nigel Farage stumped by one simple audience question
- Credit: Archant
An audience member pinned down Nigel Farage down on his claims about how easy a no-deal Brexit would be on Question Time.
This week's show was based in Northampton, which voted to leave the EU by 58%, and the audience showed it with applause for Farage's polemics and repeated interruptions of fellow panellists.
When the discussion turned to trade arrangements outside of the EU, Change UK MP Anna Soubry hauled Farage up for hypocrisy in endorsing a 'Norway-style' post-EU arrangement during the referendum, and now saying that the only true Brexit is a no deal scenario.
Farage outright denied his earlier stance without being corrected further by host Fiona Bruce.
READ: Nigel Farage denies changing his mind on BrexitBut one audience member wasn't going to let him get away so easily on his yarns about smooth post-Brexit relationships.
"Nigel, you say: 'WTO rules, that's not a problem, that's the solution'," said the audience member. "Name me one country within the WTO rules that doesn't have a trade agreement with another country."
You may also want to watch:
"Of course, because WTO rules are the basis from which you begin," said Farage, adding that countries "will come running" when we leave the EU, when the UK will be able to enter into independent trade negotiations.
"Nigel - sorry," said the questioner. "Just answer the question."
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
Farage didn't answer the question, instead saying there are "at least two dozen major countries queueing up" to make deals with the UK.
The questioner persisted, repeating: "Can you name a country in the WTO that doesn't have a trade agreement with another country?"
"Once we leave, we'll be able to strike deals all over the world," said Farage, continuing with a claim that the EU forms 15% of the world's economy.
Fiona Bruce stepped in. "Do you know the answer?"
"No I don't," said Farage. "Because actually there isn't one."
"You're sitting here, telling the members of the public, 'let's do that'," said the audience member, to applause.
"But you don't even know how many countries have done it before us!"
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.