Farage says UK would be ‘joke’ if Big Ben doesn’t bong and everyone had the same response
- Credit: PA
Nigel Farage has claimed that if Big Ben doesn't bong for Brexit it will be a 'national humiliation' - and everybody had the same response.
Speaking to Nick Ferrari on LBC Radio the Brexit Party leader said: "Boris Johnson was making a joke of it - 'Oh we'll find some mechanism where you can put a pound in'. It's almost as if the government is embarrassed by Brexit. They don't want to celebrate the moment."
He continued to explain: "Boris got elected on a massive majority on the basis of Get Brexit Done and he can't even bring himself as Prime Minister to say they are going to fund this to show the world we are organised and we are ready.
"I frankly think that, around the world, at that moment at 11pm, if Big Ben doesn't strike, our country looks like a joke."
But in response to his comments Twitter users all made the same point.
You may also want to watch:
"I'll let you in on a secret, whether Big Ben works or not, the rest of the world will see us as a joke on the 31st," tweeted James Roberts.
"I think that ship has sailed courtesy of Messrs Farage et al" said Seb Dance MEP.
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 3 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Piers Morgan defends interview with Thérèse Coffey after accusations of 'bullying'
Another wrote: "Come the 1st Feb all you Brexiters will start to see the joke was on you. England, the only country in the world to impose sanctions on itself."
John Bowen responded: "The world sees us as a sick joke because of Farage, Widdecombe, Johnson, Tice, Rees-Mogg, Gove, Raab et al".
Twitter user @adamcymru quipped: "They see us as a joke for inflicting Brexit on ourselves mate!"
"It's already seen as a massive joke. Doubt it could get worse," replied Jeremy Steane.
"What a load of Bollocks, the World sees us as a Joke because of Brexit, and an even bigger joke if we celebrate our self harm," fumed Paul Elliott.
"Nobody is looking over at us and going "ha ha they're shit at fixing bells" they're laughing at us losing what was left of our fucking minds," posted James Felton.
"Big Ben could ring for 12 hours straight and the U.K. would still be a joke" surmised Big Marky.
"Celebrating something that demonstrably harms us by spaffing another half a million quid on some silly bonging is the joke" said Simon Bruni.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.