Nigel Farage unimpressed by Brexit voter who now backs ‘undemocratic’ Lib Dems
- Credit: Archant
Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage has hit out at a Leave voter who now says he will back the Liberal Democrats - but the caller had the perfect response to claims he was now backing an 'undemocratic' party.
Despite claiming people had not changed their minds on Brexit, Eyo from Hackney called up Nigel Farage's programme to point out he voted to Leave, but now supports the Liberal Democrats and their anti-Brexit stance.
He explained on LBC: "I actually voted to leave but I've changed my mind. I definitely think there should be a second referendum and actually I'm supporting the Liberal Democrats now as someone who generally would have voted for Labour but would consider myself a floating voter."
An unimpressed Farage asked: "Are you a democrat, Eyo?" to which the caller said he was.
"So why would want to vote for a party that would cancel, without reference to us, if it won the general election it would cancel the result of the greatest democratic exercise in a generation?" fumed Farage.
You may also want to watch:
But Eyo had the perfect reply for the Brexiteer - pointing out it was perfectly democratic what was proposed.
He said: "You're saying why would I vote for them - an undemocratic party, as you put it.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
"But you, in your own sentence, Nigel, you answered the question. The keyword you just said there was 'vote', Nigel.
"At the end of the day, if they put in their manifesto, you elect us and then this is what we would do, if you do not want them to do that then you just don't vote for them and you vote for another party that say they will do something else.
"I cannot understand how you can say it cannot be democratic."
It comes as new polling finds that the public's view on a People's Vote has hardened as they trust the people to resolve the Brexit issue more than the politicians.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.