'Repulsive' Farage compares Brexit transition period to Vichy France
Nigel Farage has been attacked after claiming a Brexit transition period under the EU's proposed terms would create "Vichy Britain" - a reference to the collaborationist regime in France during Nazi occupation.
The former Ukip leader tweeted: "Mrs May's transition period will be a worse form of EU membership during which the bully boys of Brussels can do what they want to us. We be in Vichy Britain."
Under the Vichy puppet government of Nazi Germany, two million French soldiers were kept prisoner and forced to carry out forced labour, and French police were ordered to round up "undesirables" including Jews and political opponents.
Under plans released by the European Commission, during a transition period Brussels would be able to restrict the UK's access to the single market without going through the European Court of Justice legal process.
Mrs May's transition period will be a worse form of EU membership during which the bully boys of Brussels can do what they want to us. We be in Vichy Britain. https://t.co/lOiqrSSOcj
-- Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) February 7, 2018
Anti-Brexit former cabinet minister and New European columnist Lord Adonis said: "By describing this country as 'Vichy Britain' Nigel Farage is engaging in wish fulfilment of the most repulsive kind.
You may also want to watch:
"It is emblematic of the increasingly hysterical tone that Brexiteers are deploying in order to distract from the error they are imposing on our country.
"In one regard, however, Farage is correct. A prolonged period as 'rule takers' - bound by the laws of the EU but unable to influence those laws - is a sub-optimal outcome for the British people.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 6 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 7 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
- 8 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 9 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 10 Government hands private companies £180m to carry out Brexit contracts
"That is why we need a final say on Mrs May's deal - so that we can choose to lead Europe rather than being led by Europe."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.